Safety & Quality
10 Questions To Ask When Choosing a Home Care Agency
April 28, 2020
Home is the safest place for your loved one—but not all home care agencies are created equal.
As the coronavirus continues to impact our population’s health and safety—particularly among older adults and people living with preexisting health conditions—many families are balancing the risks of non-family members coming into their homes and the benefits of trained caregivers supporting their loved one’s critical needs.
While home is the safest place for your loved one, not all home care agencies have the systems and protocols in place to help mitigate the spread of infection and support safety. When evaluating options for home care, be sure you’re working with an agency that prioritizes the health and well-being of your family and your caregivers.
At the start of the coronavirus outbreak, we created a dedicated COVID-19 response team that’s been working around the clock to update each of our policies and procedures to support safer practices for our caregivers and clients. Based on this work, we’ve compiled a list of 10 questions that we recommend every family ask before choosing a home care agency to care for a loved one.
Enhanced Safety Protocols
- What are your updated safety protocols and how are they documented?
- What are your call-off and sick leave policies for caregivers with infectious symptoms?
- When do you require personal protective equipment (PPE), such as gloves and masks, and how do you help your clients acquire hard-to-find items?
Caregiver Communication and Training
- What training do you provide your caregivers to support proper infection control?
- How often do you update your caregiver protocols and how do you communicate these updates to them?
- How do you ensure that caregivers comply with your safety protocols?
Management of Urgent Situations
- Do you offer 24/7 trained support for urgent situations?
- If a caregiver is suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19, what will you do?
- If a client is suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19, what will you do?
- If my caregiver cancels at the last minute, how will you restaff the visit?
A responsible home care agency that prioritizes your family’s safety during this crisis will have clear and complete answers to each of these questions. We hope this is helpful to you and your family.
Honor’s top priority is always the safety and well-being of our clients—that’s why we developed Care Protect, our system of enhanced safety protocols for better infection control. Learn more.